All for All
Edina Public Schools led a Strategic Planning and Revision process from January through May of 2012. Community members and school staff joined together in studying the current state of the district and discussing suggestions/recommendations for improvement. One particular outcome of those conversations was a clear message from the community that achievement gaps predictable by race and income are unacceptable.
We reviewed two particular graphs of data depicting math and reading achievement respectively over the past five years disaggregated by student groups (i.e., race/ethnicity and socio-economic status). A striking conclusion one can make from the data is that the gap between our highest- and lowest-performing student groups has narrowed slightly in reading from 43% to 28% over the course of the most recent five years, but has held steady in math, averaging 41% across those same five years.
Development of a comprehensive plan to address these achievement gaps was logically assigned to the Educational Delivery Committee, formerly the Response to Instruction and Intervention (RtI) Steering Committee co-led by the Directors of Research & Evaluation, Special Services and Teaching & Learning.
Closing the LEADERSHIP Gap
- Implement PreK-12 Response to Instruction and Intervention (RtI) with fidelity
- Recruit, hire and retain high-quality, racially conscious teachers and administrators
- Maintain a comprehensive program of co- and extracurricular activities that meets the needs of our students
Closing the BELIEF Gap
- Train and educate all staff in supporting academic achievement for all learners from diverse cultures, incomes and ability levels
- Identify and clarify beliefs about learning expectations for each and every student
Closing the PREPARATION Gap
- Implement a screening tool to assess developmental milestones and social/emotional development for infants and toddlers
- Outreach to parents and families with a focus on race, lower socio-economic status and cultural diversity
- Develop coherent and comprehensive preschool program encompassing all Early Childhood services and programs that aligns with K-5
Closing the TEACHING & LEARNING Gap
- Grow and support effective professional learning communities (PLCs)
- Enhance student engagement to augment their ownership of learning
Closing the TIME Gap
- Provide more time for learning during the school day, outside the school day, during the school year and beyond the school year
- Utilize technology to extend student opportunities to learn with anytime, anywhere learning modules available year-round